May 4, 2015

Allergy Season and Essential Oils

The pollen in the Ohio Valley area of Kentucky is in the "extreme" range this week.  I didn't realize the Boy had environmental allergies until a few days ago.  I vaguely remember a few sniffles last spring, but nothing like the congestion, sneezing and coughing that's going on now!

We were outside much of Saturday with soccer games and a Derby party (its a KY thing!), so I got bug bites, but he got worse.  We skipped church yesterday and I reapplied essential oils and made an "allergy bomb" for the diffuser.  One of my Facebook friends taught me this bomb is a  mixture of lemon, lavender and peppermint, with a splash of frankincense.  So, its actually the same combination I have been using in a roll-on bottle for my husband's allergies, minus the carrier oil.  We are rolling it on, breathing it, plus staying inside with the fan on and a new air filter.  I've started giving him his liquid vitamin again.

We tried liquid Claritin (generic) for kids, but couldn't tell a difference.  He tried generic Zyrtec today, but it was a pill and he couldn't swallow it.  He won't do a nasal spray either...so this is one of those times when sensory issues really stinks.  The anxiety doesn't help either as he is afraid he will choke, and with the sensitive gag reflex, he might.  Sigh.  I'll just stick with essential oils, thanks!  At least he handles the smell of those pretty well.

I know that improved nutrition can help suppress allergic reactions but that requires eating a wider variety of foods than what he can do right now.  His father had allergy shots for years, as did his grandma, so he gets it honestly!  I'm thinking about adding allergy testing to the medical list...we are almost at the deductible, so why not do it all?!  Get all the tests!!!  (Sorry, I have funny memes in my head when I yell that in my mind and its funny, LOL)

Are you or your family members suffering from allergies this spring?  What do you do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Feel free to link to your own blog or Pinterest page- I'll check it out!