September 29, 2012

Year 2 Weeks 7 & 8

I was halfway through week 8 and realized I didn't post about last week yet. Oops!  Life just keeps happening, you know?



Here is a couple of pictures from my husband's trip to Nicaragua with BMDMI.  Aren't those twins cute?!  A sewing group at our church makes little dresses and hats year-round to send to the girls down there.

I spent last weekend researching freezers since the guys are done remodeling after the water damage we had.  I haven't decided on one yet, but am leaning towards an upright.  Feel free to share your favorite freezer in the comments...I need help!

Now, for the rest of the story...




Week 7 & 8 for AO2, with the following changes and additions:

The Bible - CC lesson 16, 17, 18 and Truthfulness from Kids of Character
Tree in the Trail chapter 10 25, 26 and 27 - Done!
Pilgrim's Progress Dangerous Journey, half of ch. 5
Math - lessons 31-36 of Graded Work in Arithmetic

My parents were in town a couple of days for week 7, but we managed to get the work done.  His attitude was worse, probably because he was anxious to be done and just play, but in reality it made things take longer!  We went to Minds in Motion as schedule for 2 afternoons, and he enjoyed that.  He also had a field trip to a local nursery with our library's home school group so learned a bit about plants.

Week 8
The Bible -Humility.  CC 19, 20 and 21.
Poetry of Walter de la Mare, poems 27-35 (almost done!)
Dangerous Journey -rest of ch. 5 and, upon his request, ch. 6

Math - lessons 37-39, plus Khan Academy review
McGuffey reader -  through lesson 13.  We have been doing readings lessons twice a week, but I increased it to 3x/wk this week.
Handwriting - lessons 13, 14
Spelling - lesson 6 (review)

We are continuing with piano lessons and are up through lesson 16 on freepianolessons4kids.  We listen to our monthly hymn, folk song and composer study music almost daily (see amblesideonline.org for more info).  He resists art study more this year than last - possibly because impressionism isn't his thing, or maybe because I'm asking a little bit more of him.  The habit of attention is one he struggles with, so focusing on a painting for a full minute or two is a challenge for him.  I have him focus, then we flip it over and tell what we can remember and talk about what we missed when we look at it again.  Short and sweet, a la the Charlotte Mason method.

He has gotten to where he enjoy Rosetta Stone for Spanish, and the BBC's typing lessons for kids.  We do those 2-3 times a week.

In follow-up to listening to Romeo and Juliet (Nesbit's version) last week, we watched the BBC animated production, which he enjoyed.  (Here are other Shakespeare animated tales.)

Next week starts the month of October.  This means new songs!  Also, public schools are taking fall break, but if I'm not babysitting, I'll go ahead and "do school" on those days.  I really have no idea what next week will look like!

I'm linking up to the Charlotte Mason Blog Carnival!





1 comment:

  1. Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back. Thanks!

    Aaron Grey
    aarongrey112@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Feel free to link to your own blog or Pinterest page- I'll check it out!